Wednesday, January 2, 2019

What We Do Not Know

Perched here on the edge
Of my human existence,
While looking out my window
And holding my pen to pad,
I struggle to understand
What is happening
And yet find hopeful diversion
In the simultaneous experiences 
That reality offers.

My friend Jeremy and I
Ponder in fear and frustration 
Why the world,
Which seems to be offering us all
The delicious oyster of life,
Has populated itself with those of us
Who seem to gloat in greed
Who love to lead us by our nose rings
To another life
One of pain and sorrow.

I mean who are these guys
And what about tomorrow?

Meanwhile, things that I might understand
But that I only partially comprehend
Display themselves
Quite obviously.

As I look up and out
I see ten thousand blackbirds
River-ing by my window
Pulsing over the treetops
Doing today what they likely have done
And done well
Since the last ice age:
Millennia of migrations
Blackbird confidentials
That benefit them
On their journeys
While underscoring
And leaving me dumbfounded on mine.

Still I look up in praise of their greatness
And wonder about what we do not know.

No comments: