Monday, April 30, 2018

Cracked Kettle

But not quite…

"Language is a cracked kettle on which we beat out tunes for bears to dance to, while all the time we long to move the stars to pity." - Gustave Flaubert

Thumbing through the thesaurus 
(and if that’s not alliteration, nothing is!)
I want the right word, words
That give meaning to the untenable. 
I sometimes circle-dance around an experience
And throw words at it
To see what sticks,
Ending up with kindas and sortas
Good, but not quite.
It’s as if I don’t really speak
This language,
At least not out loud.

My friend and her dog Willow came upon the body 
Of a newly dead cardinal.
She watched the dog inspect the bird
And as dogs experience the world 
Through their own reality
My friend searched this experience for insight
For the right words
To fathom the meaning
Through the eyes and nose of her dog.
“Tell me Willow, what do you know?”

What Willow knows can only be implied
And applied to the human experience;
Only loosely,
Wanting for words.

Beating on a cracked kettle, indeed.




No comments: