Wednesday, January 13, 2016

What a Country

Well I’m sure it was an oversight
But the President failed to mention
In his SOTU speech
Just exactly how good life is
In the U.S. of A.
Such an embarrassment of riches
Our times and circumstance.
I cite for example the fact that
I sit in a warm house in January
Eating Strawberry rhubarb pie.
Yes, you heard that right
Strawberry rhubarb PIE!
There hasn’t been a ripe strawberry
Within a thousand miles in six months
And I just sashayed into the store yesterday
And found one,
No better yet, a half of one
Protected in indestructible plastic
For my dining pleasure
What a country!
And curious by the way
That  you can only eat the stems
As the rest of the plant will kill you!
(Wondering now who made that mistaken discovery?)
So here I sit fat and sassy
But sadly
With empty fork in hand and wonder:
Do you think Amazon Prime could send me
Another pie
And have it here
Day after tomorrow?
And what about pies delivered by
Drones?
What a country.

No comments: