Monday, June 14, 2010

Catchin Up, Answering Questions

It’s really not so bad
Being haunted by a ghost at
9:30 in the morning.
I am drinking coffee while
In the kitchen the ghost boils water
In the kettle.
She died in this house I believe and
Now she benignly haunts here.
Why just last night she stood guard
At the back door, where I had carelessly left
The keys
In the lock.
Perhaps it is the spirit of my long gone mother
Who I have conjured up by thinking of her, poorly
While rummaging about the bleary past for her memory
But only finding fault.
We have never had a chance to catch up in these 43 years,
To make things fair.
She would want to see how I have fared since she cast me
And set me adrift,
And I would likely ask her for the answers to the questions;
Those that come on curious dreams
And startle me from my reverie
As I hear the kettle rattle.

No comments: