Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Applesauce



It was a time of innocence,
That was your gift to me
Your work and sacrifice.


Your applesauce,
You made each summer
From apples you bought
On rambling trips
To orchards in Vermillion
With your sister Eunice
Canned in our kitchen…
It protected me
For a few fine years:
Before the bomb
Before the blast of puberty
It softened the blows.
You kept me safe
For as long as you could…


It is a time more guileful,
And gifts are given and received more cautiously
Though we work and sacrifice and carry on.


My applesauce,
Picked from apple trees
that likely remember when,
And cooked in modern day hot waters
Can do so little
Comparatively.
It only opens the door
Ajar
And lets me look back
And see your apron through the steam.
 

2 comments:

Linda Hughes Hiser said...

Great writing should elicit emotion….this one literally brought tears to my eyes and made me reflect on memories of my own Mom. Thanks Paul.

tom.leutner said...

She left us, too soon. Thank you for this beautiful memory of life in Ohio. Did all our mothers can? Do all mothers hope their children will simply put away their toy guns when they grow up and live in peace and joy? Or did they expect we would find the real thing and use real bullets and take aim at real people? If only we could protect the chidren long enough to find Peace.